Thursday, August 9, 2012

Yin Yang-15.5 weeks!


We officially made the switch. We went to my new OB’s office yesterday. I couldn’t have been more pleased with my new doctor. This practice is much smaller than my old one—the old one had gotten up to 6 doctors that I would be required to see. This one only has two doctors and a nurse practitioner (who will only do check ups, not delivery). When I was led to the room the nurse was very sweet and asked a ton of weird, random medical questions. Then she took my blood pressure. First read, left arm=160/90… great. Then she waited a minute and used my right arm and it was 128/80. So… we were all good. I don’t know what the heck goes on in my body when I have to get that damn blood pressure taken.

The doctor came in and right away I was at ease. My previous doctor was always so anxious and excited that it was hard to relax around him. I found this to be the opposite with the new doc. He spent so much time with me and tried to answer all of my questions before I could even ask them. Then he left plenty of time for me to ask what I had left. It was really nice to have a discussion about the pregnancy. He did tell me that only about 1/3 of women who are pregnant with mulitples will deliver vaginally. I will most likely be having a c-section since they will only allow me to deliver vaginally if both of the babies are head down. He explained that bed rest shouldn’t be necessary unless I go into preterm labor, but at 28 weeks I’m going to need to stop doing anything “extra” and focus on just doing what I “need” to do. I suppose I “need” to work… :-)

Near the end of the appointment he said he wanted to hear the babies’ heartbeats. I asked him if someone could go get my husband from the waiting room since I knew Dennis would want to hear them for the first time, as well. Once Dennis was in the room, the doctor juiced me up for the Doppler  and began exploring for the heartbeats. Nothing. The search continued and still nothing. I started to get a little worried, but the doctor reassured me that everything was fine, the babies were just moving around a lot. He decided to send me for an ultrasound just to be sure.

Off we went to another doctor’s office. I will be getting ultrasounds every 4 weeks and at a different office because the pregnancy is considered high risk. The ultra sound tech was super nice and very excited for us. She took time with each baby—letting us hear the heartbeats (162 beats per minute for both of them!), showing us how big they are (5 and 6 ounces), and taking individual and single pictures. They are quite squirmy so the pictures aren’t perfect, but you can definitely tell that they are babies! Baby A has a great profile picture. Dennis couldn’t get over the fact that we could see the nose! He said, “that nose is killing me”. It nearly made my heart melt. The tech describe them to be in yin yang position. It almost looks like Baby B is grabbing Baby A’s leg. I really think Baby B is a boy and A is a girl… we’ll have to wait another five and a half months to find out, though!

All in all, it was a pretty incredible experience. I can’t believe those babies, those heartbeats, those noses are growing inside of me. Infertility sucked, but I’d do everything again in a heartbeat just to see those sweet babies on an ultrasound screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment