Saturday, December 24, 2011

It's a Wonderful Life

It never ceases to amaze me how many emotions this movie can stir up within me. Not only does it capture the spirit of Christmas so beautifully, it also holds special, personal meaning to me. This movie reminds me so much of my Grammy. My beautiful, spirited,  amazing Grammy who had her spirit taken away from her a few years ago when she had a stroke. As a result of the stroke, she developed dementia. She loved this movie. As soon as I put the movie on, I feel a wave of emotions come over me and throughout the entire film I have tears in my eyes.

I probably wouldn't feel these emotions if my Grammy's favorite Christmas movie was A Christmas Story or Christmas Vacation (although those are some great Christmas movies!). It's a Wonderful Life definitely has a magic about it. The story itself is beautiful, but the character of George Bailey is one of my favorite fictional characters of all time. Jimmy Stewart said of the film, "...it seems to me there is nothing phenomenal about the movie itself. It's simply about an ordinary man who discovers that living each ordinary day honorably, with faith in God and selfless concern for others, can make for a truly wonderful life". 


It's difficult to remember to live this way in our daily lives. It's exceptionally difficult when we have to go through trying and stressful times. Perhaps, though, these are the times we should try to remember to live this way the most. Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment